Sunday, October 22, 2006

CAPTAIN KANGAROO


Finally, I have my blog up and running!
Now, for any readers I might have, I thought I would explain my blogname and blogtitle. It seemed that every choice I tried for a blog name, was already taken.....(guess my imagination isn't as good as I thought) So after getting a little too goofy about it I finally settled on Mr. Green Jeans....not too bad of a blogname. Now Mr. Green Jeans was a character on a long running children's show called "Captain Kangaroo" (1955-1984) Of most of what was on that show, Mr. Green Jeans was my favorite...and not just because of his great GREEN overalls he always wore. You know, I actually owned a pair of green jeans in my teenage years....I wonder now what ever happened to those jeans......?
Anyhow, Mr. Green Jeans was kinda like the Captain's right-hand man, and was always coming around to visit with new animals to show us and we would learn from their habits. Captain Kangaroo taught us good manners, respect and fair play. Mr. Green Jeans taught us to be nice to animals. Anyhow, Mr. Green Jeans is something I remember from my childhood. So what better blogname than this?
It kinda gets me to remembering lots of things from that time in my life. I had a best friend whom I had known since she was born. And with who I spent most of my time. I would gather up all the empty soda bottles I could find and take them to her house where she had found what she could find and then we would go across the street to Ralph's Market and get 5 or 10 cents worth of penny candy (yeah thats what it was called) and maybe if we had found enough empty bottles to cash in..we would get a Coca-cola in a bottle or maybe even an Orange Nehi and then walk back the 3 blocks to my house while making sure all the candy was gone before we got there...(except of course for some bubble gum so we could see who could blow up the biggest bubble later) We did that just about every day it seemed. Or at least several times a week!
I had the good fortune of knowing her for all of her 43 years. We lost her in a car accident in 2000. I miss her each and every day.
This is in part why I wanted to blog...since her untimely death I have written to or about her in a virtual memorial space I provided in her memory, as I felt like I had so much to say but no one to say it to so maybe I can just write it on a blog. I miss my best friend who knew everything about me and much of my writing may just be on her, about her, or even towards her......or heck, who knows...maybe I will write more on Mr. Green Jeans, or some other of my favorite TV shows, or maybe Candy....or better yet..Chocolate?

Hmmmm...now that sounds good right about now...a Pepsi and a chocolate candy bar........guess my mind has switched to something else now...OHHHH, Now I remember what happened to those GREEN JEANS of mine I loved so much....Too many CHOCOLATE CANDY BARS................its all coming back to me now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandi said...

Hey there Mr. Green Jeans, I loved it. See you on the blog.

10/22/2006 7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home