Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Closet

Finally a new closet.

Well not so new as in NEW....but a re-done, cleaned up, cleared out closet. Finally! This actually took way more that either the Shankster or I had anticipated....but well worth the hassle in my mind. Mostly the Shankster's hassle, I might add, as he did most of the work.

What we thought was going to take all of about one day maybe two, took nearly five. B had came in and put up some shelves and re arranged the only closet here to try to accommodate holding 3 peoples clothing among other things you stick in a closet about 5 years back. It has taken me this long to figure out what the next step was going to be in there. Procrastination if my middle name....especially when I have to recruit a helper. Even though the changes B made were terrific, it was still in need of striping old paint, wallpaper, plugging up holes everywhere, then re-painting, and hopefully re carpeting. It was old, dusty, smelled musty and the light fixture in there was a total mess/hazard. (don't ask)
Luckily we found a remnant carpet for $20 which had padding attached. Padding! WoW, the only room in the house to have padding!





A cheap bucket of paint and luckily we already had some Kilz so we were gung ho to complete this job in record time.

Well as usual in this house, you can't do one thing without running into a dozen obstacles. Usually obstacles that will cost you and arm and a leg. Unfortunately we don't have any more arms and legs left so we were going in with what we had. What we thought was one layer of wallpaper, turned out to be 5, before we finally stopped scraping and tugging, ranting and raving. We had to come up with a new plan as, you cannot or at least we couldn't paint over more than 40 year old wallpaper.......trust me it just doesn't work.

When we were cleaning out the closet we came across some rolls of wallpaper. I remember them. I had tried to sell them in a yard sale and my mom just begged me to not sell them and give them to her so she could put up somewhere in this house. I cannot even remember how long ago that was. I have been here, now going on my seventh year and I believe our last yard sale together was around 96. Obviously the poor woman never got the wallpaper up. So when the Shankster asked if we could use the wallpaper, my only thought was gee... does wallpaper go bad? I was a little bit scared.








But it worked. We wallpapered what we could not paint. The Shankster put in a new light fixture as the previous light has been on non stop for I know the last 7 years and probably for 30 before that. (Again,Don't ask) We put in the carpet and put everything back in. I reluctantly donated at least half of my clothes and some other items I had in there, mostly for room. But I can say I don't mind at all going into the closet anymore. Its clean, smells clean. Not musty, dusty
anymore.






And you can turn the light on and off just like regular people do.

WOW. I love it.

1 Comments:

Blogger SymplyAmused said...

Nice job!! Come do mine now : )

5/04/2010 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home