Thursday, January 14, 2016

Lego Blankets

I have 5 Grandchildren, all boys.  I love to sew or quilt.  Not so much clothing, but blankets or quilts is my thing.  Not saying I am good at it but I like it all the same.  There is also not much room there in the boy department to sew things unless I sew Blankets or Quilts. So that is what I do for them each year at Christmas Time.  I think I have showed some I have made here before, and this year 2 of the boys were into Lego the Movie, so wanted that as a blanket.  I have a hard time most years trying to find the Themes in the way of fabric that they are into that year...this was no exception. I could find no one to carry Lego fabric at all, which isn't unusual as I find that certain Licensed Fabric is that way.  But that wasn't going to stop this Nana.  LOL

 I was on a mission to find Lego fabric and had poor Shankster take me everywhere I could think of.....nothing surfaced. Then when looking online I finally found 2 twin sized Plush blankets so I grabbed them.  Even though they were plush they were very thin, and these 2 boys get cold at nite and love when I double the plushiness in a blanket...so I was on the hunt...again.  I found a soft cute Plush Fabric that is called Honeycomb,
 but it looked like legos to me with all the little bumps, yes I have a strange imagination, and it was a color that would look good on the back side, and very soft up next to you at nite. I like when I can buy a blanket that the boys like, but can make it my own by adding to it.  Whether its just a different binding or adding an extra layer to the back, I can say it was made with Love by Nana! ( I actually have tags that say this LOL)

The only hard part was the size, these are larger than any I have made the boys so far, but they are ever growing so understandable.  I have no room still to sew but my bed, and was able to use that and stretch the fabric out over the bed to layer it with the backing.  It wasn't that hard with both
fabrics thin it was easy, and I didn't use a binding on these as I thought just folding it over was plenty good.


After hemming, I decided to use bright colored yarn to tie it sporadically like you would on a quilt, this way the fabric wouldn't bunch up too much and hopefully hold up better.








I think it turned out ok, and obviously so did Poppy as he slept under each blanket when I was done, and said it was the warmest blanket he ever had slept under before!  I think the combination of the Honeycomb Plush and the thin Plush fabric worked well together, so am thinking of making us one with this combination.




I also was able to find a smaller throw in the Lego Theme at a different store by chance that was just big enough for a crib for Cay, not sure he knew about Lego the Movie, but he seems to follow in the big brothers footsteps with whatever they are into, so I didn't want to leave him out.  I also didn't want to layer it with a backing, thought that would be to warm for him yet, but decided to use some orange binding that was soft to add a "punch" of color and of course give it a Nana touch

They were easy to wrap up and tie with a Bow!










I think they liked them ok, especially Kob, he threw it on top of him as soon as he opened it.










Guess I had better be checking what the Theme is for next
year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home