Friday, January 18, 2008

Oh Deer!

Yesterday was a sort of usual day until we went to let the dogs out to find this.




Yes this is what it looks like.....
a Deer with a Red Collar!


We took a few pics (quickly and not the greatest) but enough to show this is a Deer and it is wearing a collar!



To try and make a long story short......we just thought at first the deer was scared of the dogs, as we do see quite a few deer cross the road from the farm across the road through our yard, but then noticed it was hurt on its hind leg. We assumed it may have gotten hit and was just trying to find a place to curl up to die. We watched it through the window for a while and it never seemed to move. We quit watching until it was time again to let the dogs out. I let the dogs out and tried to walk in front of them just in case it was still around....much to my surprise there it was right under my bedroom window up against the house and staring at me....nearly scared the poo outta me! I rustled the dogs back in and called my brother (the deer hunter) to see what was best to do..little then did I know it had a collar on. My brother called the Conservation Officer dispatch for us and Shank decided to wait on the front porch for them. Oh my goodness it was not expected then to have the deer come up to Shankie who was awaiting on the porch and dang near put its head on Shankies hand. Shank being a bit apprehensive stayed back for a bit until every time I came to the door it tried to come towards me too! This of course is when we noticed the collar. That's when I decided to take the pictures as I was telling my brother this and he did not believe me....I think he was surely thinking I may have lost my mind. But, this has been someones pet and it had gotten big enough to jump over the fence obviously and hurt itself. When the officer came he didn't have the heart to shoot it as it didn't seem too bad off just limping around...it really seemed quite harmless and just wanted to eat.


After coaxing it over into the field we thought it would be ok...or we hoped it would. We later decided to go out to check again and much to our surprise it was hopping down the road to the neighbors house! We had turned off our outside lights and it was all dark here and over there it was very light...I think it was going to find somewhere else to find food! Shank being such the animal lover he is, was worried that a car was going to hit it again and so he shined his light over to see that it was ok and that was all the deer needed to turn around and come charging towards us! Like we had rang a bell or something that said "COME ON HOME FOR DINNER!"
Not knowing exactly what was going to happen...we ran like crazy getting into the house!
It was sure an unusual site and one we won't forget soon...as she is still here waiting for something to eat I believe. Got any ideas?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home