Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Canning, 2012



For the first time in the nine years I have been here, I canned.  I love to can.  I missed it.  I have gotten too far out of my "usual" habits and have found I just don't can't have it any more......so I guess I needed to do something about it, and I did.  I canned some green beans.

Every year I would can green beans.  I would also can and freeze other veggies.  Usually from my own garden.  I also love to garden.  But for the first year here at mom and dad's, I was way too busy for that.  The second year, I think I was too tired...emotionally and physically.  The third year was rough for both the Shankster and myself, and it has been a hard road health-wise and other-wise since. 

For reasons beyond our control, recently we were subject to waking before the crack of dawn for several weeks...So I got the bright idea of strolling thru our local Farmers Market as they usually are gone before we can get there each Saturday morning from 6 to 10.  We thought we might find a few Zucchini as Even though I haven't done any canning or freezing, I have every year put back some Zucchini for Zucchini Bread...I mean if I stopped that I may as well pack my bags as the Shankster would disown me.  :)

Seems every one else had my idea as even at that hour just about everything was gone.  But then we eyed one lady who had a big ole bag of Green Beans.  We took them all, and found some chili peppers, and some cucumbers. 

I felt like I was somebody again, and the Shankster and I canned about 20 pints and 6 Quarts of beans.  Yes he helped, he loves to help, I think mostly because he loves to eat them!  And it is something I can do that he is proud of me for, he always fusses over my canned beans, makes me feel good.  :)

 I also made some refrigerator pickles with the cucumbers and I haven't done that in over 9 years too.   Even tho I didn't get to use my own garden veggies and had to go buy them to can, For the 6 bucks we shelled out I think we still came out ahead, I didn't have to buy jars, had them in my stash of canning things....and had the peppers and onions needed to make the refrigerator pickles, and I think the beans will come in handy this winter. Here is the first 10 jars....




I don't think I will stop there, I am cashing in my coins and planning another Farmers Market Run this Saturday!  Wish me luck, I think I am on a roll~!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home