Monday, May 16, 2011

Day #4

Guess I should really start at day #1.


Shankster got the surgery & all went well. The "lump" was actually a Tumor. The size of a Mediterranean Olive....quite big for the tongue. And the Doc says he has never seen something as this in this area. The good news was that he doesn't think it was anything to worry about. YAY! But it will still be checked out and we should find out in a week. So still send good thoughts his way please.
And as I figured, Shankster was trying to talk when I arrived in his room after the surgery. As long as I have known him, whenever he has had surgery, afterwards he is a talking nut. I think probably due to the medication they give him, but still he usually does not shut up.
This time was a bit different as you really couldn't understand him, but he thought you could. :)

They gave him something to control the saliva and said he would be VERY dry and thirsty for days. I, along with the nurse, told him to not try and talk. She told him she wanted to bring him something to drink....did he want water? No response. She said well we also think if you want you could have some Pepsi. His eyes lit up. The same thing happened when she offered Jello.

So when we got home I made Pudding, Jello and some Bean Soup. (per his request) He was sure he could get the soup part down easily. I Went and got some ice cream and made some tea hoping this would be enough for the first day. We established early that COLD went down a lot more smoothly than hot...or even warm. So Bean soup not much of a hit.
We knew ahead of time there would only be drinking for about 11 days, but I didn't have a clue it would be this hard to figure out the best things to get down to fill up a stomach in order to take the 4 different medications they sent home with him. If he takes 3 of them on a empty stomach he will get nauseous. So far on day #4 we have done pretty good without the nausea.

Day#3 wasn't the best for pain. He awoke with more pain than he has had so far. And so #3 was miserable. Today isn't much better for pain. And it is harder to eat...or drink his meal. I blended a banana with some ice cream and he scarfed that down very quickly. So guessing he loved it.

Now to work on the pain, the pain pills only seem to be working for 2 hours, not 4, so We finally called Doc to see about the level of pain vs. pain pills. Luckily for the Shankster he gets something different to try..lets hope it works better.
Now if I can only stay balanced enough to get myself across the street to get them for him. I would tell you I am a bit sick today, got a sore throat last nite and am stuffy to boot, Head seems full of pressure and I am dizzy to boot.....but its not about me for the next 15 or so days...its about the Shankster...so I won't say a thing.

;)

2 Comments:

Blogger dona said...

Sorry Nana, if I had the money I would get you someone to take care of you......I am so sorry. I will have to make it up to you.......love you... oh this is your husband ;)

5/16/2011 4:49 PM  
Blogger SymplyAmused said...

I'm so behind on keeping up with what is going on with you two. I hope recovery goes well and the tumor is benign. Good thoughts and prayers going your way!

5/25/2011 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home