Wednesday, May 11, 2011

BPPV

After waiting 2 days to get the car back to have a way to go, I got my bootie to the doctor asap this morning. I was miserable since Sunday evening with the extreme dizziness. I don't think or remember if I have ever had an earache, so when my right ear started hurting yesterday was thinking this was my problem, and with the dizziness so bad, thought I was in need of a miracle pill, toot sweet.

Much to my surprise, after several "tests" doc says this is what my problem is. BPPV. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Translation...I'm Dizzy every time I move my head.

Basically this is what I got out of what he said.

Small crystals are built up in the inner ear fluid but doesn't cause a problem as this is where they belong. If they shift to a different part of the inner ear canal, the fluid there moves at a different speed than normal, which causes the nerve cells to send signals to the brain which now don't match the visual input from the eyes. Dizzy. This is what I am.

There is a maneuver that can be done to "reset" so to speak, the crystal/or crystals back to where they belong. Epley Maneuver. We did this in the office. I thought I was going to fall off the table in the 3 person Merry Go Round that was now the Doctor's office. Me, Doc and The Shankster. Luckily for me, the Shankster and Doc was on both sides of me and were keeping me from falling off the Ride. It was the absolute worst dizziness I have felt. Gee I waited 2 days for this, I thought I would just get a pill and it would all be gone in a matter of days. What the heck?

Oh and I almost forgot when he told me to remove my earring, and before I could say What for, he jerked my ear in a way where I was ready to Kick him where the sun didn't shine. Said it was some kind of a chiropractic move. Ok. I was almost regretting spending the gas money to drive up there.

But I have to say even though I was disappointed that I didn't get that pill, I am Happy to report that the pain in my ear and neck is completely gone. Nice move from the Chiropractic Ninja.

And I also wonder what happened to the days when you could complain to the doc and get a pill, take it a few days and your problem was gone. Now I have to do this maneuver several times a day and hope it helps in a few weeks. In other words, NO PILL, and ride this Merry Go Round several times a day and hope to not puke.



I bet I don't get a Corn Dog either.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home