Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Lost Diamond Necklace

First off I have to say I am not much into jewelry. Not that I don't like it, it's just that it isn't for me I guess. I have always just wore my wedding ring on the left and on the right my class ring. Until the dang thing shrunk one day in the not too distant past. (they just don't make gold like they used to) :)


But early on in my relationship with the Shankster, he bought me a gold diamond necklace with matching diamond earrings. They were just perfect. A very delicate soft gold chain held the diamond, like none I ever saw. Just enough bling for me. After 20 something years I still love them. He had since bought a few other beautiful pieces that I cherish, but these are by far my favorites. Since the day I got t
hem I have worn the earrings each day.
They have been through a lot and even a stem on one of the earrings broke, but I found a place that repaired it beautifully.
I would wear the necklace a lot at first then later only when I dressed up. Before moving here I had a special place for the necklace when it wasn't being worn. Upon moving here that wasn't an option as there is just no space for my "delicate" items such as that. But I did find a place that worked for me ok. Right above the light switch in "The room", there is a box type switch for the electric heating that used to be in this room. I would hang it there. Up high, easy to find. Until one day when I went to get it. I have not been able to find it for at least a year, maybe a bit longer. I have been dreading telling it to anyone, least of all the Shankster. What would he think of me? To have lost something so meaningful? He would surely think I was awful not taking better care.
But then again he knows more than anybody how I have no privacy, no room for anything so he would understand. Yet I still could not muster up the gumption to tell him.
So I kept quiet. Each day looking yet in another cubby hole I have stuffed something into in the past several years, thinking I surely put it there for safekeeping. I remember worrying about it when the boys were here putting in the windows....even though I was sure they were good boys (even though they turned out not to be) I was thinking I might have moved it to a more secure out of the way place at that time. But could not remember doing that. It started bothering me even more lately and one day while the Shankster and I moved things in "The Room", I tried to look more closely on the floor thinking it could have fallen off the box on the wall. But I didn't see anything. That's when the Shankster noticed me looking. So, I finally told him. He understood completely and started doing as I had been doing for more than a year and was looking at all possible places.....and as I had done thinking the unthinkable as well. That my lovely necklace was forever, gone.

Then one day last week, I decided to give my vacuum cleaner a good once over. You know where you take the thing apart and clean it inside and out? I don't think I have done that with this cleaner since moving here as it was brand new when we moved here.
I took the roller bar with the brushes on the bottom off and cleaned it and changed the belt. The suction hole at that point seemed to be clogged with a few pine needles...great....Just when I think I am done with the pine needles in this house....yech. I pulled them out and in between those was a small piece of paper from a chewing gum wrapper. You know those white cover papers in between pieces of gum in a 17 piece pack of gum? Geez, I have eaten way too many pieces of gum...But, I am talking a small piece of paper. I grabbed it and started to take it over to the trash as I had with all the other icky stuff I got out of there. But for some reason put it aside on the counter and finished with the cleaning. As I got done with the vacuum I was cleaning off the counter and saw the paper and started to trash it......then there it was...shining up at me.....my diamond necklace! I could not believe it. After all this time, it had done just what I feared it did, fell on the floor and got swept up. But luckily, again, not away. It
has been there for a while as I have n
ot chewed that kind of gum for about 2 years.



Thank God for small wonders.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVED YOUR STORY, YOU SHOULD WRITE BOOKS. GLAD YOU FOUND YOUR DIAMOND NECKLACE. AND, a diamond just like you. YOU SHINE. sandi

1/29/2009 11:08 PM  
Blogger dona said...

Thank you, Sandi. :)
I don't deserve that.

1/30/2009 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home