Thursday, January 29, 2009

My New Fav

Cape Cod Style Dried Cranberries!

Ok so I know what most who know me are thinking...Twelve inches of snow has put her right over the edge with the cabin fever! You would think, wouldn't you? I mean I do not go for the dried fruit thing. Have never. I mean Chocolate is my Thang....Any kind of chocolate. I could eat chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner...with a chocolate shake.

I would watch my mom eat those dried bananas like they were going out of style. I tried them and Yech...couldn't do it. Give me my chocolate any day.

But in an ongoing effort in the past couple of years since the Shankster's heart attack, I have been on a mission to find "healthy" snacks. Most were too expensive, and this year beyond my reach totally. Others were misleading. I mean you really need to know how to look for what you need and what you don't need to have. I have to say I am one who never looked at the ingredients or the calories. Then there was a time when I would only look at the calories. But now, I have found that you have to look FIRST at the serving size or nothing else will be right. Then you have to know which nutrients to limit and which to get enough of. Usually by the time I would get the calories in my mind and then the serving size and then ask myself the question how many servings am I going to eat.........somebody has rammed me in the ankle with their cart as I have been there for 20 minutes trying to figure it all out in my head.
Then the total fat, the saturated fat and don't even get me started on the High Fructose Corn Syrup. Geez, I used to love to go grocery shopping...now it can be a nightmare.

Which brings me to the dried cranberries. I don't like cranberry. I actually cannot stand it. The Shankster drinks the Cranberry juice like crazy. I can hardly muster up enough courage to take one sip. But especially in the winter months I try to make sure to get as much fruit in him and Homie as I can. Hence the Dried Cranberries. I got them to try to see if I could come up with a trail mix that would satisfy the Shankster for a snack. Of course the other ingredients I got to mix it with failed miserably. OMG...Elvis won't even eat it. So there the dried cranberries sat, for at least a month.
Yesterday while the Shankster was having one of his narcosleepy's, I decided to get my butt in gear and do some much neglected cleaning. After cleaning the Fridge out and the pantry I came across the cranberries. I thought hey why not take a sit and have a handful? I mean there was not chocolate in the house........what harm can it do? SO I did the unthinkable, I ate a cranberry.

I have to say they were not bad at all. I actually loved them. After eating a handful I didn't even think of wanting that Hershey's Chocolate Candy Bar.

Really.


They were really good. Expensive, but good. But I have had several handfuls and have not even put a dent in the container. They are jammed pack in that sucker. I think they were about $3.95 or so, and since I am my father's daughter I thought that was ridiculous, if it were for me, but I don't care when it comes to the Shanksters health, which is why I bought them.

But hey, he is going to have to find him something else. I love these. Have had several today too. These are my new favorite snack.
Dried Cranberries. Go figure.



I am wondering however, how good a Mountain Dew would taste with them?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I'd been reading on and off, just not commenting and everytime I see your comments on The Dahn Report, I felt like I really should comment... because I wanted to say what a terrible storm you had been driving through (and that post was from so long ago), and how glad I am that you both got home safely... and that I'm so glad you found your diamond necklace... and that I hear you about the chocolate!

2/02/2009 2:07 PM  
Blogger dona said...

Hello Snug, so glad to see you on here. I love reading yours also but am mostly just that a reader. Thanks for stopping in!

2/03/2009 4:10 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hmmm....maybe I'll give them a try! I love raisins and eat them all the time.

2/11/2009 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home