Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Arthur, More Snow, Unexpected Fall, Bit of Whining

I have had several things on my mind lately to post on, most being the snow. Our 12 inches of snow we got last week is still hanging around even though the sun tried to melt a lot of it during the past weekend. Luckily we have been able to get out every day, which is as I say LUCKY as you never know on this hill whether you will get down it (or back up) when any big amount of snow hits. So its not been too bad at all.

Which brings me to my thoughts. Arthur has come to visit me. Actually he is setting up camp in my right pinky finger. He came to visit about 8 months back and I think has decided to stay.

Crap.

I am not liking this at all. Its all I can to most days in recent weeks to use it at all. Its gotten to where I cannot even bend it proper. And by proper I mean normal. Even for typing I am having trouble using it for the sHiFt button or the AaA button. I mean it hurts like He-- (double hockey sticks) Just trying to do this. TYPE, such a small thing to do and cannot do it as simply as I could before. I hate this getting old thing, but then again I don't think I am THAT old. I find that little things just as bumping it on the side of a pillow can send me into shock. What? Why does it have to hurt so bad. I mean I have been hurting in places for 17 years and have done pretty well with hiding my pain from most people, (at least I think I have) but this pain in my pinky is driving me crazy. But then when you are looking for comfort or help or relief from doctors, you don't want to hide the pain.

Which brings me to today and the unexpected fall. For the last 17 years I have been falling due to the dizziness and whatever else was causing it from the initial fall I took that started it all. After the ankle surgery in 97', the falls did dwindle from the average once a day, to maybe a couple a week to just a few here and the stumble there...... I liked that. Much more tolerable. The falls were not pleasant to say the least and I am paying for it all now. So in the last few years I have been more than happy to not have to deal with them as much.

Today we got some more snow. It came suddenly and during the morning rush hour and created havoc with motorists on most all main highways. We were supposed to go into town but decided it was not that necessary and elected to stay in. I think I wish sorta that we had ventured out into the snowy/slippery outdoors. So far we have done ok with that. But instead, I decided to do some chores in the kitchen and as the Shankster came in to see what I was into, it happened.
I fell.
Crap.....didn't miss that.
He witnessed how I fell too. Which was a first for me. For the most part all my falls have went un-witnessed and if it had not been for my dear Doctor who believes everything word that comes out of my mouth, I think most medical dudes would have just thought I was just a crazy weirdo. Well weirdo is a given, but crazy all the same.

My ongoing challenge in describing my medical problem to non-medical people is to ensure what is meant is the same as what is heard and what is understood, (which was also the career challenge I took for 5 years with the medical dudes.)
Its like, have I said what I meant and did you understand it? Most I have come in contact with, I don't think do. The reason I think mostly why I have no friends. I mean I had I think every test and scan known to man and although I do know they do show what can be wrong with a person, most of mine would come back "normal".
If the scan is "normal" then why am I having this pain ? If it is "fine" then why do I feel so awful? If the scan "doesn't show anything" shouldn't it be done again properly?

This is what is hard to stress to most.
Pain cannot be seen on scans.
But is also not what you need to hear when you are the one experiencing it.

And I never know what I will experience when I fall. Or after. What I am experiencing right now is pain. It has taken me all day to get this posted. My butt is swollen I am sure. My right leg from my butt cheek to my calf is killing me. My right arm hurts all over. Oddly enough my right ankle when I started to fall, went completely under me and it doesn't hurt at all. But my left hand feels like a Mack Truck drove over it. I usually black out when I fall so I have no idea what happened and so for some reason I have cuts over all my fingers on my left hand above my knuckles and they bled like crazy. I realized an hour ago that my whole hand has swollen and my ring finger is starting to turn purple. I like purple. Homie ran out to get some bandages. The Shankster immediately took off my shoes and places an ice pack on my ankle and leg. He has also cooked dinner and baked me some cookies. Yum. I sat on the kitchen floor for about 20 to 30 minutes. I was afraid that at 53 what I may have broken so didn't want to stand. I am sure I moved the fridge back and over a couple of inches. I only wish I would have broken that stinkin pantry so we could get a new one. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I am so sorry...OUCH. I hope the pain is getting better. Big hugs!

2/11/2009 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home