Thursday, July 29, 2010

Zumba

Yes, I said Zumba. I am a Zumba-holic. I was asked by my sister-in-law to go with one nite a few weeks back as she decided to go and didn't want to go alone. I had just gotten home and wanted to go a tiny bit, but the other part of me thought no way am I going, so I said no, but she asked if I would go the next week and I said ok, thinking I would surely get out of it somehow. I didn't want to go as I was sure I couldn't do it. I have no rhythm, I can't dance & I have no money. I thought it was a mostly dancing kind of exercise class. From what I have seen on TV and the Internet I was sure I wouldn't fit in at all. I am a bit over weight and was sure that most who would be there were size 1's or in that area. I figured I would be laughed at. And I thought I had checked some prices and found it to be on the expensive side, for me anyhow.

For the most part for 7 years since being here, I haven't exercised at all. I miss my pool. At least I got some exercise in it. Since the knee surgeries, I haven't done anything much for exercise and I can tell. I don't do anything that I can't sit within a few minutes. I can't stand for any length of time and I don't even walk with the Shankster any more as I am afraid I will need to sit because of my knees and around these parts that's outta the question.


The next week came and Kimmie asked if I was going. I reluctantly went. I was literally scared outta my mind. Yes I am a grown woman....outside. Inside I am still scared of certain things and getting up around others and doing something like this was really not something I was ready to do. I did an exercise class when I was twenty something and loved it. But now and after being cooped up in this God Forsaken house for 7 years, I was sure I couldn't do it.
The class lasts an hour. How was I going to make it?

Aside from falling flat on my face during the second song, and feeling like a complete idiot during that and most of the routines, I made it the whole hour. On my feet, my knees withstood it all. I couldn't believe it. I loved it. I had a blast. Nobody really looked at me or at least I didn't think they did, but I really didn't care either. I had the most fun. I felt alive. The most alive I have felt in 7 years. It was once a week and I was ready to come the next week. But when Kimmie called that day and said she couldn't make it, I really didn't know if I could go alone. But I did. I also found out there was another class during the week too. I went to it also. So far now I have been 6 times. I love it. And the best part is that for each time, I have been able to stand up the whole hour and do each routine. Now I am not saying I am good at it at all, but I wave my arms about and move my legs and shake my bootie too, and I think that is what is important, to move and keep moving. I also needed some girly time and at 3 bucks a pop, I have less than $20 into it and I feel great. It's the best 3 bucks I have spent on myself in a long time...and I'm lovin it. Oops, that's McDonalds theme...Oh well, move over MickeyD's, there's a new Place in town for me to spend my $3~

6 Comments:

Blogger SymplyAmused said...

I have the Zumba DVD on my computer and haven't even looked at it. Sounds like I should and use it too! Glad you enjoyed it...

7/31/2010 2:51 PM  
Blogger William J. said...

Way to go Dona!!!!

8/09/2010 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you Nonna! You're a couple steps ahead of me. Way to go girl! Sandi

8/15/2010 6:58 PM  
Blogger dona said...

Symply, try it you may just love it. I really do enjoy it. I had the instructor make me a copy of the routine we do in class so I can do it at home.

8/16/2010 5:45 PM  
Blogger dona said...

Thanks Bill!

8/16/2010 5:45 PM  
Blogger dona said...

Thanks Sandi, wish you were here you could go with me!!:)

8/16/2010 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home