Friday, June 15, 2007

Our Kubota

I wrote this post days ago..sometime last week and it got saved...I didn't realize blogger was saving your posts automatically...Kind of a cool thing I think(guess I should read more of the blogger news) So thought I would just go on and add it here.

I mowed the lawn today. I have been mowing this lawn for about 2 months now as Frank cannot get into the sun due to some medication he is on for a while.

We usually would take turns mowing different parts of the lawn so for each of us to not get much of a backache or neck ache as we were using my dad's mower and to keep it simple, it has seen better days. We had a new mower when we moved here but as most of our lawn equipment and other belongings got stolen, someone tried to steal this mower and couldn't get it to move and damaged it terribly. So we just used dad's wheel horse and dealt with it. Now I have nothing bad to say about Wheel horses per say...but...
gee did I just say..per say?

duh
where was I///?
anyhow, they are fine but dad's has seen better days...there are a few steep hills to mow around here and the mower rolled over on dad 2 times that I know of while mom was still with us and then it rolled on Frank at least twice as well. That put the top cover a little off and crooked. Needless to say it looked like a drunken wheel horse coming your way if you were looking at it directly. And it would beat you to death while mowing.
It mowed nice but for the last 4 years we have had to replace so much we could have bought a new one with all the replaced parts, I am sure.
Now Frank has wanted a Kubota for years since our Gosport days...(90/97) but we never got the chance to get one. At the first of the mowing season we both started wondering what we were going to mow with since about 3 weeks before the season was over last year the wheel horse broke and was going to need fixing.
Hence, the Kubota. Before the mowing season began we were a few bills debt free and decided to look around for mowers. We made our way to the Kubota dealer and after seeing what others cost decided on this one. Now at first I really wondered if we needed this and honestly didn't want it. But knew also that Frank did most all of the mowing and just figured if this was what he needed to mow with...why the heck not?
Which brings me to this past few weeks. For the most part Frank has been mowing but now I was going to have to do it for a while. I didn't care as I love to mow, but around here it helps for him to mow while I do other things. But I love to mow. I can't push mow right now because of the knees. It didn't take me long to get the hang of the Kubota and I have to say I love it.

It doesn't make my back hurt at all and I cannot even tell I am on the grass mowing..it just feels like I am riding along on a paved road! It can really go fast but I try to keep it at a medium pace...(I actually got it up real fast one day while no one was looking and and when I hit a bump I bounced up off the seat and the engine cut off! A safety feature I am sure but scared the poop outta me!) But its really fun for me to mow and this mower makes it that much more fun. I was finishing the field today and it looked like I would get finished before the rain but about 6 passes before I was to finish the rain came dripping down...not too bad so I thought I would finish but 4 passes left and I was getting pummeled. I had to take off my glasses as it was so hard I couldn't see but I was having so much fun I just did not want to finish. I only wish I had a Cowboy Hat and boots to wear as I was ready to holler out Yee Haw and YahhhOoo while waving my arms about. I was really having way too much fun...(yes I need a life)
As I finished and cut off the mower deck to hightail it up to the house, I looked up and saw Frank standing at the side of the barn getting drenched watching me with a big smile on his face. He motioned me on up to the house as he ran beside me smiling all the way. As we were both soaking wet we just went on about our way to change into dry clothes. Not much more was said about mowing.


I wondered then while thinking of Frank standing there watching me in the rain, was I just thinking it, or did I actually holler and wave my arms about?




3 Comments:

Blogger SymplyAmused said...

Cute!! Glad you had such a fun time mowing. I love to mow too, weird huh? : )

6/16/2007 8:07 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

You are so funny! And I bet you did actually let out a big YEEEEHAWWWWW...you're an official country girl now! LOL

And...I love to mow, too, but I've been letting Sydney do it so I can get other stuff done around here! Now, just to get your brother to do the weedeating would be an ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!!

6/18/2007 10:15 AM  
Blogger dona said...

Did you just say that about "my bro"???

(Note to youself....Kim, that ain't never gonna happen!!!!)

6/18/2007 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home