Friday, August 27, 2010

What's For Dinner?

I think I tried this once on my blog to post what we eat for dinner each nite, but I either get sidetracked, or...Hmmf, I'll go with sidetracked. Anyhow, tonite I will try once again, as what we had was really delicious!

Now I really love Taco Salads. Homie not so much...I don't think he likes the salad part. :) So we don't have them as often as I would like. He likes something we fix that my sister would always make for him when he went to see her in Sunny Florida. I think she calls it Taco Casserole.

So in Our Taco Salad, we usually make a nice big salad with the usual stuff, lettuce (usually 2 different kinds), carrots, radishes, cabbage, and tomatoes. We use Ground Beef and spice it up with a bit of Ortega seasoning. We like any kind of shredded cheese and usually always have some Re fried Beans with it. Our choice for the Re fried Beans/seasoning & sauce is all Ortega. We use just about any Tortilla chips, as I think most are gluten free, but we also look for the ones with the lowest sodium. Yes I can spend an awful amount of time in the isles reading/comparing ingredients.

OK, now in the Taco Casserole, we use Ground Beef sometimes with the seasoning and sometimes without, if you don't have it on hand I don't think its all that big a deal as you can't taste it missing. Then we add Garlic & Onion or Garlic & Herb Diced Tomatoes. Now I think here you can fudge on the original recipe my sister uses. I think she used the Garlic/Basil & Oregano diced tomatoes. And I have seen several different additives and even none at all only the diced tomatoes. So I think this is a choice. Then add Brooks Mild Chili Beans. Now this is all served over Tortilla chips with Shredded cheese. Yummy. Also use sour cream & olives with it. (Homie or Shankster neither one go for those) That's ok more for me.

Ok in an effort to not eat as much red meat as we would normally do without thinking (see recent Turkey week) we decided to eat Chicken this week. But wanted to kick it up a notch. The Shankster decided he was going to make the decision tonite and he decided he was going to combine the above 2 recipes. Taco Casserole/Taco Salad.....but with Chicken and his own twist.

We don't have a name for it yet, I am going for Shankster Surprise...but don't think it will take off. But here are the ingredients as it was very good. I worried as he kept adding things, but it turned out great.

Boil Chicken. (we used 3 boneless Chicken Breasts)
Tear apart Chicken put in skillet, add 2 cans of Garlic/Onion Petite Diced Tomatoes, 1 large can of Brooks Mild Chili Beans, (and this was what I thought the odd part), half of a small cabbage pulled apart. Let simmer. He used some Shredded Cheese in the mix for thickening. But we also used it at table. We used Tortilla Chips and made a salad out of nothing but shredded Cabbage and Radishes. We poured the Chicken mixture over our Salad with crunched up tortillas, the Shankster used Ortega sauce, and I used Ken's Country French Dressing with Vermont Honey. Homie ate it plain....one plate with the salad and one plate with just the mix and chips. He actually even said he loved it. I guess... he had 2 servings! It was great and the Cabbage in it was really tender and good with the tomatoes and cheese.

So a kind of a Taco Salad Chicken Casserole or a Chicken Salad Taco Casserole? I dunno.

Bon Appetit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home