Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Felt Board Project



Once again I will say here that I am not a professional when it comes to sewing...but I do like to sew and I do like a challenge.....sometimes.

  DIL gave me a good challenge as she is homeschooling 3 boys, with another to start soon, and finds it hard some days to find an activity to keep one occupied while busy teaching the other since they are at different levels. She thought if I could make a felt board with some story pieces that it would be fun for the kids and also help them with creativity, or at the least keep one busy while other is learning Math!! 

Ok I thought, Sure how hard can this be?  I went on a mission for Felt pieces and something for a board, and found there are lots to choose from in this department! I had all kinds of ideas for the board itself , cardboard, frames, artist canvas and the list goes on, I think this is your personal preference or just what you are willing to pay.  I wasn't up to paying a lot, since I figured the felt may run me a bit. So I found in the Craft department just a sturdy board in the poster board area that was thick enough and large enough and was just 50 cents!  


Its been a long time since I have purchased felt and I was surprised how many different cool colors there are. I mean there was even a tye dye color, I loved it, I think I got that one just for me....I had some large sheets of white felt that was given to me, so I used white Felt for the front, and used a Flannel Sesame Street for the backing.  The Flannel was leftover that I used for making the boys a blanket once so used this just for fun for the back,  they like it and it didn't cost anything.  I find if you can use something you have that works well, go for it.

I didn't spend much money on this, as I had the scissors, glue, Flannel pieces, spare buttons, White Felt, so all I had to buy was the colored felt and board!
Each day I worked on this, I got another call from DIL with new ideas. Boys loved Mr. Potato Head so she wondered if I could incorporate that somehow? Sure why not? I mean I am already out of my realm here so keep those ideas coming...which she did, she then thought since the boys are so much into Super Heroes could I also find a way to do that? SURE...I said.

What had I gotten myself into?

I drew a Mr. Potato Head from looking at pictures on the internet, this would help me cut the "Potato Head" part from the felt. It also helped me in the designing of the Super Hero Costumes and other dress up ideas that were in my head. 

I actually had a lot of fun with this. I made several Potato Head Bodies, and then eyes, lips, arms, ears and mustaches then you have to have the accessories, like the shoes, glasses, hats, crowns, or whatever you think of.  The Super Hero part was also fun, I just knew after buying the boys Spiderman, Superman and Batman costumes and toys what they looked like and just went from there. Even a couple of Swords No Pressure, You just have to figure it all on a Potato Head Body!







I also made a House, Trees with Apples,Clouds, Grass, Sun and Birds! 
And I made a lady Potato Head, with a skirt,  purse and earrings on her ears!!! (boys thought she was funny)



There is also a lot of help on the internet, I found out after, that I was not the first one making their own Felt Board with Story Pieces! So if you are looking for an inexpensive way to keep toddlers entertained and also help with creativity Create your own Felt Board!  Its easy and fun.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home