Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Letter


While going through some old receipts/papers today trying to get some kind of organization into my life, I came across a letter that was in my Aunt Lissie's handwriting. I don't quite remember when she gave it to me, but I do remember after reading it, that she told me I would need to keep it and read it often. I guess this is why I saved it. Upon reading it, it made me think of my sister-in-law and something she said to me recently. I don't imagine these are my Aunt Lissie's words, maybe they are...but maybe too she just copied it from somewhere. But I choose to believe they are her words. I just thought I would share them here, just in case my sister-in-law reads this, I think she would enjoy it.

Lord, thou knowest that I am growing older.
Keep me from becoming too talkative, and keep me from falling into the tiresome habit of expressing an opinion on every subject.
Release me from craving to straighten out every body's affairs.
Help me dear Lord, to listen to others describe their aches and pains.
Help me to endure the boredom with patience and to keep my lips shut.
For my own aches and pains are increasing in number and intensity and the pleasure of discussing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by.
Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I might be mistaken.
Keep me reasonably sweet; I do not wish to be a Saint (Saints are so hard to live with) but a sour old woman is the crowning work of the devil.
Make me thoughtful but not pushy, independent, yet able to accept with pleasure favors that others wish to bestow on me.
If I do not approve of some of the changes that have taken place in recent years, give me the wisdom to keep my mouth shut.

Lord knows that when the end comes I would like to have a friend or two left.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have sent this to me a long time ago! ha. Will you copy to m y email addy. Sandi

1/26/2007 5:56 PM  
Blogger dona said...

I sure will! As I read this I thought of you right off! I guess I could have sent it to you, but then would have been one less post on my blog! :)

1/29/2007 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home